A is into rainbows at the moment.
Sorting pom poms.
I got out our tray of pom poms, which contains many pom poms in various sizes and colours. A first sorted through them to find the pom poms she wanted to use, placing them in piles of like colours. She chose to use six colours in her rainbow, and to place it on clouds. The clouds are made of cotton balls as A thought they were fluffier, and more cloud-like than the white pom poms we had.
Placing a line of pom poms.
A asked me to place a line of craft glue on her paper in the shape of a rainbow. She carefully placed the pom poms onto the line of glue, one at a time, making an arch in one colour. Then she worked on the next colour, and the next until she had her rainbow complete. Placing the pom poms using her pincer grip was good for her fine motor skills.
Sticking on the clouds.
Once all the pom poms were placed onto the paper, A put some glue at the bottom on each side of the rainbow. This is where she placed the cotton ball clouds. I thought it looked very good like this, but A decided that it needed some birds (some birds turned into a lot of birds!).
We have put this one up on our wall. It looks a little lonely at the moment, but we are planning to make some more rainbow pictures to go alongside it.
Rainbow picture with birds.
I wrote numbers in the inside base of twelve muffin cases (numbers 1 to 12), and placed the muffin cases into our muffin trays. Then I asked A to place the correct number of pom poms into each muffin case. She used some big plastic tweezers and some scoop tweezers to pick up the pom poms and transfer them to the muffin cases.
The muffin cases numbered and set out.
The plastic tweezers.
For each muffin case I would ask A how many she needed to put in, and she would read the number out loud. She counted each pom pom as she went, and then re-counted them at the end to make sure she had them all right. As she went, I asked her to do some basic subtraction and addition to work out how many pom poms she had to get to reach the right number.
Scooping up some pom poms.
A liked practicing her numbers and it was fun using the tweezers. Some of the little pom poms were hard to pick up, and this was a good chance for her to practice her fine motor skills.
Placing a pom pom into the muffin case.
Using the tweezers to grab a pom pom.
I put out a tray of pom poms, a tub of googly eyes and some glue, and let the kids’ imaginations go wild making monsters.
I thought these were arms, but A told me they are monster ears.
L made a very elaborate monster using lots of pom poms. She did all the gluing and construction herself, while A needed some help with the glue. L managed to stick one of the pom poms to her finger, and another to the table though, so perhaps she also would have benefited from some help with the glue!
L’s monster nurse.
When L had finished her monster, I asked about her monster’s head. I though the white pom pom with small red pompoms between its black horns, was its brain outside its body. I couldn’t have been more wrong, it is actually a nurse’s hat, as her monster is a monster nurse.
One-eyed worm monster.
A’s first monster had two big fat legs, a head, and big ears. She gave it one big eye on the middle of its head. Her second monster also had only one big eye, so to make up for this, her third monster was covered in eyes. It even has an eye on each of its four legs, and eyes able to look in every directions around its body. A named this last monster ’20 Eyes’.
20 Eyes the monster. There are more eyes on the other side too.