The photo frame.
Last week I picked up a cheap wooden photo frame from the local second hand shop. It was very plain, but in good condition. A jazzed it up for me using a selection of buttons from our button jar.
A spread all the buttons out on the table so that she could select the ones she wanted to use. In order to stick to the frame, the buttons needed to have a flat back. Then she added some glue and started sticking buttons all around the frame.
Gluing on buttons.
Once it was dry we put a photo of the kids with their great grandmother into the frame, and it is sitting on our dining table.
A found some cute buttons in our button collection, including some really cool roller skate buttons. She wanted to wear them in her hair, so we had a go at making them into hair bands.
The roller skate buttons had reasonably large loops on the back, so it was easy to pass the folded hairband through the loop. The other buttons had smaller loops, so I had to find some little bands, and it was more fiddly to get the band through.
Band through the button loop.
Bands tied through the loops.
Once the band was through, I looped one end through the other and tightened the band. I also added a spot of hot glue to the bands on the back of the each button so that the band was held in place.
A was very pleased with her new hair bands, and immediately wanted one in her hair.
A’s new hair band in her hair.
These old buttons have been made into flowers by A. She chose a centre for each flower, and then surrounded it with other buttons for the petals. Once the buttons were placed just right, I helped her to glue them down.
Drawing flower stems.
A used crayons to draw flower stems and leaves and grass. She wanted lots and lots of wild grass, and ended up drawing so much the flower stems were lost a bit, but she was happy. The top of the page looked a bit bare then, so I suggested some clouds. A decided that if there were to be clouds there should also be rain, and a sun. She told me that it needed a sun to be happy, but she also wanted it to be a rainy picture.
Button flowers stuck down.
Feeling the buttons.
A made another rainbow today, this time using buttons. We have a big jar of old or odd buttons that are great for crafting with. A tipped the jar all over the mat, and enjoyed running her fingers through the buttons. She looked for unique or special buttons, such as shiny ones or particularly large ones.
Sorting into colours.
She sorted the buttons into piles of like colours in preparation for making her rainbow. This was a good sorting activity for A, where she sometimes had to decide what colour a particular button was. For example, she had to decide whether some of the buttons were more orange and should go in the orange pile, or were they more red and go in the red pile. Picking up the buttons and placing them was also good for her fine motor skills.
Placing the buttons.
A laid out the buttons on a piece of paper to form her rainbow. She started with the green buttons on the bottom because green was the least numerous colour, which she could tell from the size of the pile. Then she worked her way out through the colours. She didn’t glue the buttons down though, so she could reuse them for something else later.
Once A was finished, she packed up all of the buttons very carefully back into their jar.